Congratulations! You’ve just upgraded to effortless, intelligent power with your new Greenworks Zero-Turn riding lawn mower. Here at Greenworks, we know a lawn mower is like a trusty steed – your backyard buddy, your sod sidekick and the Silver to your Lawn Ranger.
Maybe you’re thinking, “sure, I love it, but how do I actually drive a zero-turn mower?”. Have no fear: the Greenworks ZTR is a delight to operate and is loyal to the core. With a bit of guidance, we are confident you and your new grass-slaying companion will become dear friends in no time. So let’s get started on our meet-and-greet – we know you’re excited (your new mower is too!).
What’s In The ZTR Box?
As you unbox your new toy, you might first notice the premium, high-back padded seat with back support and foldable armrests. Or, perhaps you’ll see the integrated cargo bed capable of hauling up to 200 lbs of mulch, soil, rocks, and more. With further inspection, you might even catch a peek at the dual-action steel blades, the high-intensity LED headlights, or the six-pack of batteries and three dual-chargers, capable of charging all six batteries at once.
Don’t be intimidated by the assembly—it’s actually quite simple! Follow along with our official unboxing video for a detailed step-by-step tutorial and you’ll be out on the lawn in no time.
All in all, your Greenworks ZTR mower delivery should contain:
- One (1) Pro 60V or 80V 42" CrossoverZ Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- One (1) Owner's Manual
- Six (6) 8.0 Ah Batteries for 60V or six (6) 5.0 Ah Batteries for 80V
- Three (3) Dual-Port Battery Chargers
- Seat Assembly
- Two (2) Steering Levers
- One (1) Mulching Cover
- Two (2) Keys
- One (1) 13mm Wrench
- One (1) 10mm Wrench
Register your mower by scanning the provided QR code and don’t forget to read all of the documentation before you start!
Getting Started with Your Greenworks Zero Turn Riding Mower
It’s the moment you’ve been waiting for: time to power up your Greenworks CrossoverZ!
- Charge up your batteries - make sure those batteries are fully charged before first use.
- Load the batteries – flip up the seat, load up the six-pack of batteries and you’re ready to power up.
- Set the correct cutting height - easily adjust the cutting deck height with the lever found on the right side of your ZTR mower.
- Get comfortable – settle into the adjustable padded seat and get ready: it’s mowing time.
- Turn it on – this is the best part! The push-button start is simple and satisfying.
Take a gander at our quick-start video if you’d like an in-depth tutorial – otherwise, you’re ready for a few quick tips on ZTR safety.
Safety Tips for Your New Zero Turn Riding Mower
You’ve got your favorite pair of shades, classic rock queued on your phone, and an ice-cold beverage in your cup holder – but you’re not ready to start mowing just yet. Before using the Greenworks Zero Turn Riding Mower, make sure to take proper safety and usage precautions.
Check the surrounding area – Safety first! Ensure kids, pets and other persons are not in close vicinity while the mower blades are engaged.
Remove obstacles from your yard before starting your mower - Take a few minutes to check your space for any objects that might end up in the path of your mower (large branches, toys, gnomes, etc.). Fully prepping your yard will maximize the runtime of your mower and prevent blades from dulling or becoming damaged.
Stay at least five feet away from bodies of water - Make sure to play it safe around water and leave at least a five-foot gap between your riding mower and the edge of the water. Our ZTR is pretty amazing, but it doesn’t have fins.
One at a time - As much as you and your buddies want to pile on the ZTR and take it for a spin, stick with taking turns. Even small humans (such as children) shouldn’t sit on your lap while the mower is in motion.
Wear closed-toe shoes - Never wear open-toe shoes while using power equipment (and no, socks and sandals don’t count as closed-toe shoes, Randy).
And don’t forget to evaluate your yard before you begin mowing. Depending on what season it is, where you live, and what type of grass you have, the cutting height of your mower can heavily dictate the health of your lawn. If cut too short, you can damage your grass. If cut too long, what’s the point of mowing your lawn, ya turkey? As a general rule of thumb, keeping grass about 2.5 to 3 inches tall throughout the year is a safe bet.
How to Drive the Greenworks Zero Turn Riding Mower
At first glance, a zero-turn riding mower might seem intimidating to use. After all, how do you drive something that doesn’t have a steering wheel? Though it may take some getting used to, handling a zero-turn mower is highly intuitive and will soon feel like an extension of your arms.
Tips for using your Greenworks Zero Turn mower:
- Forward: Simply push both bars forward to start moving forward.
- Reverse: Pull both bars back to move in reverse.
- Right: Push the left bar forward and the right bar back to turn right.
- Left: Push the right bar forward and the left bar back to turn left.
We promise this is easier than it sounds - think of it like maneuvering a shopping cart. Since each wheel contains its own brushless motor, the ZTR mower can handle the tightest corners and obstacles. Trees, edges and awkward corners around your lawn are no longer problem mowing areas—they’re fun!
It may be enticing to put the proverbial pedal to the metal, but in the long run, mowing at a steady speed of 5 mph produces a higher-quality cut – and can extend the life of your battery, too! Mowing at full speed produces a lower quality mow and drains the battery more quickly, so remember: consistent speeds are the true winner in everyone’s book.
How to Care for Your Zero Turn Riding Mower
Good news for you – one of the most outstanding features of an electric zero-turn riding mower is how little maintenance is required. Say goodbye to messy fuels, constant tune-ups and oil changes. Woo hoo!
You should follow a few minor housekeeping rules to keep your mower running at its best:
- Clean mower after use - Make sure to clean any obvious dirt, debris or clumps of grass from your mower (don’t forget the blades) after operation to help protect it from wear and tear.
- Store properly - When not in use, the Greenworks ZTR (along with its batteries) should be stored in a dry, cool place such as a shed or under a garage overhang.
- Charge batteries after use - To ensure you have fresh batteries for next time, always charge your batteries after each mow – you wouldn’t want to run out of juice with a half-cut lawn! Even if you forget, Greenworks batteries fully charge in just 90 minutes, so you’ll be out on the job in no time.
Level Up Your Lawn Care with Your New ZTR
Now that you’re properly acquainted with your Greenworks zero-turn riding mower, it’s showtime! Get ready for years and years (and years) of hassle-free, perfectly cut grass with your new partner in work time. We’re so happy for you both! Now all that’s left to do is to name your fine steel friend. Mowses? The Sodfather? Mowy McMowface? The choice is yours!
Here’s what to expect from your new Greenworks ZTR Mower:
- First-Class Power - Producing 24 horsepower and 2X more torque with intelligent TruBrushless™ motors, you’ll have power to spare for any lawn job.
- Innovative SmartCut™ technology - The ZTR mower senses changes in your grass and auto-adapts power for the most consistent cut. That means no more bogging down in even the tallest, thickest and wettest grass.
- Unmatched Maneuverability and Turning Radius - A brushless motor in each wheel gives you complete control, allowing you to easily navigate trees, flower beds and lawn edges with precision. This mower literally turns on a dime.
- Better Batteries - Battery power isn’t what it used to be. Over the past 20+ years, Greenworks has meticulously developed rechargeable batteries to exceed the power and performance of gas. Our new batteries allow up to 2.5 acres of mowing on a single charge – the industry’s longest cut time.
- No More Gas - No maintenance, no trips to the pump, no mixing fuels, no messy spills, no gas smell, no harmful emissions, and no noisy gas motor. Greenworks batteries make lawn mowing faster, more efficient and less expensive. That’s a win-win-win.
- Lasting Durability - With a heavy-duty, reinforced 12 gauge steel 42-inch cutting deck, the ZTR mower is built for the long haul.
- Smart G Connect App and 4G/GPS - Maintain total control of your fleet from anywhere with a mowing command center in the palm of your hand. The Greenworks Smart G Connect App (available to download from Apple or Google) monitors the status and location of your unit in real-time – ensuring you’re always in the know for battery levels, cut height and more.
Welcome to the next level of lawn care with your Greenworks ZTR - you're going to love it. If you haven't taken the plunge yet and purchased your Greenworks Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower, no worries. There's still time - shop now!